• Breaking News

    Friday, October 25, 2019

    Morrowind Ashlands sunset

    Morrowind Ashlands sunset


    Ashlands sunset

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 02:45 PM PDT

    The Ghostgate

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    Nerevar the lizard

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    Anyone else reading the Bethesda news and just laughing?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 10:27 PM PDT

    I'll be honest, the first time I was ever disappointed with a video game was Oblivion. I saved up my allowance to buy an Xbox 360 when it first came out. I even had to get a cheap one with no memory, and I couldn't even afford to get both Oblivion and a memory card, so for the first week I had it, I would play the start over and over. After I got my memory card, I realized something. I was disappointed. The game had nowhere near the detail and depth of Morrowind. Sure, the game played a little better (though it was still pretty buggy), but everything felt so cookie cutter and uninspired. The only things I remember enjoying were the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines. I remember trying so hard to capture the feeling I had playing Morrowind, but, even though it didn't outright suck, it just wasn't anywhere near as good.

    Since then, each Bethesda release has been more disappointing than the last, with FO:NV being the exception, and they didn't even develop that. For all that people love Skyrim, the game and world feel so sterile to me, even when I try to jam pack it with mods (the mods are all great, not a knock on them, but there's only so much you can shine a turd). The move to voice acting was a serious mistake for Bethesda, imho. The four voice actors they use in their games make every single character and quest and town feel exactly the same as the others.

    I stopped buying their games after Skyrim. I didn't buy Fallout 4, but my roommate had it, and I played it a bit. While I actually enjoyed the settlement building a lot, the rest of the game was astoundingly bad. I pretend it's not Fallout, because it's so bad, it almost retroactively ruined FO 1, 2 & NV for me.

    Since I was 10, I keep coming back to Morrowind. This community has taken the last great game that Bethesda ever made, and turned it in to a world I may very well never stop exploring. I just installed the Old Ebonheart update for TR a few days before the news of Fallout First hit. When I saw the articles, I couldn't stop laughing. I almost feel bad for the people who bought that game and continue to purchase Bethesda's increasingly terrible offerings. If only they knew what was here, they'd never need to buy another Bethesda game again.

    tl;dr - All this drama with Fallout reminds me of how wonderful Morrowind and its community are. ❤

    submitted by /u/OhMeesterMo
    [link] [comments]

    Kanye West's blade

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    If silt striders are a thing, where are all the swamps and wetlands for them to striding silt in?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:58 PM PDT

    I mean, it's been like 10 years since I played Morrowind, but since being reminded of it today I can't get it off my mind and so I'm here with a question that's literally always bothered me about Morrowind, one of my all-time favorite games...

    There's nowhere for the silt striders to stride in silt. Silt implies very small grain size, smaller than sand, and it is usually found in river deltas because rivers accumulate the eroded minerals from the land and pour it out into the sea, usually in huge estuaries at their mouths. Other very silty environments are bogs and low lying marshes like what we have here in the South.

    The silt striders anatomy further proves this, and their name makes sense. They have long legs to facilitate walking through areas where water is shallow - where water would be too deep for humans to walk, but shallow enough for them to walk, thus enabling them to walk in marsh-like environments.

    Now ... I realize it's just a game and it exists just as much your imagination as it does physically, but, from what I remember, there's not really anywhere for the silt striders to stride in silt, in Morrowind. There's not many, if any, areas that are "between" ocean and land, and it seems that the silt striders are mainly just used as a cool way to get from town to town, with no siltiness between the town to facilitate their movement. Personally I think Morrowind's potential swamps and bogginess is, or could be, a really cool thing, as the swamp is one of my favorite biome types. Maybe silt striders have a more natural habitat closer to the mainland in the province of Morrowind, and we're just brought to Vvardenfell for transportation needs.

    One of my favorite things about these beautiful creatures is their cry. That sound that they make. Personally, it evokes feels of vastness, like it's something you can hear from dozens of miles away, across the many miles of swamp bogs... You can't see it, but you can hear it. I think this aesthetic is particularly important, and perhaps is one of the pillars of the game's phenomenal world building.

    submitted by /u/PartyOnOlympusMons
    [link] [comments]

    Ahh yes, we've been expecting you.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 01:32 PM PDT

    Plains of Aanthirin, Tamriel Rebuilt (Coming Soon)

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    Does anyone have a UI mod for morrowind that isn't just a recolor/retexture?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 09:26 PM PDT

    It's been almost 20 years since launch and I can't find a single interface mod that isn't just a pallet swap with a few replaced icons. The default menu interface is user unfriendly at best and a chore to use at worst, especially if you have to use it with a controller. Initially I'd hoped to find something similar to SkyUI but I'll settle for anything that's list based rather than icon based. Even a port of the Xbox menu interface would be an improvement for me. Sure other people have asked for UI mods before but the very idea of improving on the game's interface seems to be blasphemy to everyone I could find.

    Even if there isn't one available yet, seriously it's been almost 20 years and there isn't a SINGLE REAL UI REPLACEMENT as far as I can tell.

    submitted by /u/Minusfourty
    [link] [comments]

    Really need the help of a fellow modder for my project! (vid's description in comment)

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 02:00 AM PDT

    Royal Signet Ring: Cheating?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    Just "acquired" King Helseth's ring, and it's easily the most powerful piece of equipment I've run across in this game so far (haven't played Bloodmoon yet). Does anyone else use it? Do you consider it too OP?

    submitted by /u/NoweShadow
    [link] [comments]

    Werewolf v Vampire Playthrough, which did you enjoy more?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:37 AM PDT

    Looking to start a new Morrowind playthrough but debating whether to go werewolf or a vampire. So, to those who have played one or even both, what was your overall experience like? and how did you overcome the cons of each character types?

    I've done some research on both but i'm just curious of some personal experiences players have had.

    submitted by /u/AdamNonceson
    [link] [comments]

    Act I, Part VIII: Sero's Game (The Sharmat's Incarnate) (Morrowind Fan-Fic)

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    Act I, Part VIII: Sero's Game

    By Antuul Dralosi, Scavenger

    You never understand how much power a man like Sero has until it's too late. Sure, I knew of him. Every rat knew of Sero, but few of us had ever actually met him and that was often deemed a good thing, because nobody wanted to end up on his bad side. Before all this, I had always figured if I got on his bad side, he'd just have one of his guys just pull me into an alley and put a knife in my back and that'd be that, but that's not who he is. No. I was wrong about him. I thought he was a professional above all else given that's how everyone always talked about him in the hushed tones we did, but he's not a professional. He's an animal. What kind of man gathers all of his political rivals and people who have wronged him into cages so they can kill each other for his entertainment? What kind of sick, twisted bastard does that?

    Sero. Sero does that and now I'm just sitting here waiting for my match against someone whose name I don't know and who knows their only hope of getting out of here alive is through killing me. I had heard of games like these happening all over the World Before, but I had never actually seen one—much less participated. But I don't have a choice. I have to get to New Balmora and my only hope of getting there is if I can get out of here and that's assuming the victor goes free, which I doubt. Sero's probably looking for muscle and that's why he's got us doing this otherwise he would've already sold or killed us off. But he didn't so that has to be what it is—it's the only thing that makes sense.

    I hear Sero talking. He's congratulating the victor and giving a sarcastic lament to the deceased, "Oh a tragedy of the highest order to see such a sweet girl die so young, but, that sugar-nose of hers was always trouble. If only she had gotten a handle on it before it overtook her finances. How absolutely tragic." Fetcher. Here he is, making us fight and kill each other and this is how he reacts? He gives biting sendoffs to the fallen? I suppose it just goes to show that Dro'garra wasn't wrong when he said that it didn't matter how far I ran, I'd always find monsters just as bad as him. I thought it was a lie; I hoped it was a lie, but it wasn't. There's monsters everywhere you look: Skriiva, Gabrin, Sero—who knows how many other monsters I've met and haven't realized it yet. Doesn't matter though. I'll get through this and it doesn't matter how many monsters are in my way, I'll get to New Balmora and the Council will stop the Dagothites from ever escaping New Vivec. At least I hope so. I really really do.

    I hear Sero again and he said my name. My fight must be coming up and to be honest, I'm not ready for it, but I hear the jailor's keychain as he begins his descent down here to pull me from my cage. I killed for the first time yesterday and it was someone who needed to die, but this time, this is different. This is an act of murder against someone I don't know, because it's kill or be killed in this pit. I don't know how I'm going to live with myself after this, but I don't have a choice but to go forward. Do or die, Antuul. Do or die.

    * * *

    My body is covered in cuts, bruises, and blood, but I'm alive. I should've died a hundred times over today, but I'm alive. I'm somehow alive because something came over me in those fights and it all started with the Khajiit. I can't describe what it felt like—it was just—an out of body experience almost. Something came over me and things just—happened. I heard the idol though and this time I didn't hear it across an ocean—it was blasting in my ears to the point where I couldn't hear anything and that warmth I felt from it—it engulfed me in what felt like my entire body was in a state of constant incineration. Everything hurt. It hurt worse than anything I'd ever felt before and I couldn't see through it, but somehow, my body just acted. I don't know how or what made my body do what it did, but as the pain subsided and the deafening melody came to fade, I saw the Khajiit who had been choking the life out of me dead on the ground. But his injuries, they weren't normal. His face was unrecognizable and his skull concaved in, but there was more to it than that—his fur had been singed by the battery and I couldn't explain it and neither could the spectators who stared at me in a mix of reactions: Awe, Amusement, Horror, Laughter. They didn't know what to think and neither did I—I still don't and I doubt they do either, but Sero, Sero knew exactly what to think.

    "So the Rat managed to kill the Cat, truly, I am impressed. Send the next fighter. I want to see how long this Rat can go."

    He sent them at me one by one with hopes I'd eventually fall, but every time I got close, it happened again and I emerged the victor with enough time to catch my breath and spit out the blood and teeth I had lost. I'd look up at him after every round and his sarcasm began to melt away leaving only a tone of concern that I actually was going to win this thing. And when I did, he told me I was dead anyways—I wasn't meant to win this little game of his. No, that honor was reserved for someone else—I couldn't tell amidst the bodies, there were too many to really pay much attention—but he was infuriated that I had won and more than that, he was scared. I could tell by him calling his goons to finish the job the other contestants had clearly failed to and when they couldn't, he and the spectators left. I could've gone after him and maybe I should have, but I didn't. I climbed my way out of that pit on a mound of bodies he had sent to kill me and waiting for me as I emerged from it was the Idol. It hadn't been there before and Sero hadn't left it, but it was there waiting for me all the same even if just moments before, it hadn't been.

    I'm writing this as I sit here by the warmth of the campfire off the road to New Balmora. It's a few days away and here's to hoping the rest of the journey goes smooth. I don't want to hurt anyone else.

    I'm tired of hurting people.

    -Antuul Dralosi, Scavenger

    submitted by /u/FoxWyrd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment